Transforming tribal schools
In 2012, a tribal Ashramshala in the interior rural regions of the Raigad district of Maharashtra was in dire condition with poor infrastructure and educational resources. With the combined resources of SP Group Companies, an ongoing school transformation commenced.
Over the years, we sought to fulfill the students’ schooling needs through multiple efforts and initiatives. Road and water access were improved, classrooms and a dormitory built, bathing and toilet facilities made available, and safe drinking water and solar energy were provided.
Along with a reputed partner, the quality of learning was improved and the capacity of teachers was built on English and training on the latest teaching-learning methods. Best educational resources in the form of a science lab, computer labs, a library and e-learning systems are made available.
Since the Tribal children’s nomadic existence is not conducive to a proper diet, the children are provided with daily nutritional supplements, due to which there has been a marked improvement in memory and learning of children.
In 2015, the vision of providing quality education was extended to local government schools in the vicinity so that more children could benefit from the education improvement program. Initially, the program was implemented in 50 Zilla Parishad schools and soon it was scaled up to 98 Zilla Parishad schools.
- 106 tribal, rural and urban government schools covered
- First Tribal Ashramshala in the district to get ISO 9000 certified
- Composite education provided in Tribal Ashramshala from class 1 to class 10, English language and vocational skills training included as part of learning
- 75% increase in enrolment at Tribal Ashramshala
- Ashramshala achieved more than 90% passing percentage year-on-year in class 10th SSC results
- Reached more than 13,000 students from urban and rural government schools
- Trained more than 220 government school teachers with activity-based teaching-learning methods